Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Living the Dream

I always hated that reply to "How you doin'?". Of course, I've been known to say it when I was working yet another dead end job. I think it makes us feel somewhat better about our present "station" in life. That being said, I don't have a job right now. I haven't had a computer for the last ten years. No-can-afford when you have all these mouths under one roof. So When I started IT school it was a helluva shock. Too many new things. People don't realize just how much the Internet has exploded. So, I gotta' catch up. I sit in front of my computer for almost 14 hours a day now. Learning, exploring, flat out soaking in it. I study constantly. My wife is starting to hate my new "girlfriend". You'd like her. Her name is Dell.
So, in the last two days, I have added five new toolbars to FireFox, started this Blog, completed four chapters in my Beginning Linux class, listed to too many hours of Pandora.com, and looked at countless web pages. Not to mention, I'm a delicious blogger who likes to tweet his diggs, diggs his diigos, and still just doesn't see the fascination with facebook.
My wife and I know that all this will pay off in the end. So, bless her heart, she quietly deals with my sitting in front of the computer for long hours, when I know she'd like some of my time. God, I love her. She works extra hours so we can succeed together. She's a rare find these days.
This time, I guess, we really are living the dream.

3 comments:

Jherbert2 said...

I always hated the pat response "great", "ok", or what ever to "how ya doin?" Truth is that no one really wants to know how you are doing but for some strange reason feel required to ask.

When I was in college and someone would pass me by and ask "how ya doin?" I'd stop dead in my tracks; Put my hand on my chin; Think a moment and reply: "I have no idea." I was a philosophy major so there was a serious inside joke to that.

What amused me, other than the fact I was being an a$$, was that if I didn't answer right away the person who asked generally felt like they were required to stop. They felt like they had to hang around until I gave them a reply that loosed them from their obligation of inquiring into my welfare.

So to keep from using the standard responses I worked into "getting by". What is interesting about that response is that people seem to feel the need to reply or comment in some way. In general my superiors would like for me to do more than just "get by" and my peers usually say something to the effect of "I know what you mean"

An that is my analysis of "How ya doin" as a comment designed to end conversation not begin it.

Weber said...

I've yet to fathom the craze with Facebook!! I was introduced to Myspace while it was still in it's early days. Never had a need to make another page about myself!!

James said...

@Weber. I've seen your myspace page. It sucks. No wonder you don't want to make another page ;-D

Visit my Internet Rainbow